Friday, November 14, 2008

I am a Guardian

Who am I?
No reflection to be seen
The mirrors create a void of the place that I stand
The pools of water show merely the sky’s reflection with nothing in between
I walk through people just to feel the brushing of passing
Even if it is only as the breeze would feel to a mortal
I do not claim to be a philosopher
But my time to serve is here
And I have nought to do but think as I work
So my thoughts have turned inward as I examine and wonder
What is my purpose.
I reach out to the young woman about to step into the street
And gently pull back on her shoulder causing a moment of pain and she stops
The car hurtling through the red light crosses through the space she would have occupied had I not stopped her.
I can interact with them but only at certain times and in certain ways.
So I am here
I do my job
Wandering these streets like any mortal
Save they go home and sleep
But I never sleep
I just keep walking all night
Watching and keeping guard.
There are people with good hearts
And those with bad hearts.
Neither of them ever see me
Though occasionally the good ones feel my presence and smile slightly
Knowing that they are safe
Knowing that Dad still has aegis over them.
They walk on their way never saying a word for the most part.
But I see the rare ones that take their fingers and kiss them then raise them to the sky.
He likes that.
Dad does.
He likes to see His children that know and acknowledge Him.
A little girl runs to catch up with her mother
As a man with an evil heart watches and follows
I step into his path and extend my foot
Watching as he trips and falls headlong breaking his nose.
I don’t feel sorry for him
I am just glad to get his attention away from the little girl.
I follow the little girl to make sure she found her mother.
Seeing her scooped up in her mother’s arms I know she is safe and walk on smiling.
I walk into the street and wince slightly as a large truck passes through me.
I don’t think I will ever get used to that feeling.
I walk on wanting to reach the blind man waiting in the middle with just his cane as his guide.
I step up beside him and he turns his head toward me and nods
I know that he cannot see but it still makes me hesitate.
He merely smiles and nods again then looks toward the sky and mouths “Thank you Dad.”
He may be blind but he knows that I’m there to keep him safe
Perhaps it is really true what they say that being blind heightens all other senses
Perhaps even extending into the spiritual realm.
I walk across the street with him and see him on a ways
To the store he was headed towards
A library for the blind
As he enters the store I start to walk off but before I get out of earshot I hear “Thank you.”
So sometimes someone notices.
It makes a difference
And it makes me feel like my purpose is worthwhile.
That’s a good feeling.
I might be one of Dad’s firstborn
But they are His favorite children.
These, all of these who wander the face of this planet,
They are His favorite because He gave them free choice.
I walk on slowly feeling the light breeze in a way these around me cannot
I feel the whispers of love and hope and life flowing to and fro in a song to Dad
The trees sway and the grass rustles in their small dances to honor Him.
I know things and see things different than these around me
Yet I love them
Maybe because they give me purpose
But it might also be that they are Dad’s children
And so they feel like siblings regardless of Dad’s favoritism.
I step up and push a woman lightly causing her to have to walk quickly to keep from losing her balance.
She looks back to see who pushed her and stares in shock at the spot she’d been standing in seconds before where a window air conditioning unit is smoking and broken into pieces having fallen from a 4th story window.
She unlike some just shrugs and turns to keep walking.
A moment of sadness shadows my heart
Knowing that she doesn’t understand why or even know what happened.
Maybe one day she will understand.
I continue my day as darkness descends and the crowds lessen.
I keep watch for with darkness a different crowd comes out of their hiding places.
I watch a woman in her twenties who by all human standards would be quite attractive and see the men turn to watch her pass and make crude comments about the length of her skirt.
I know her heart, I can feel it from here.
She wanted to get her husband’s attention and thought by wearing a short skirt she might have a chance but he hadn’t even made their meeting, and now she was forced to walk home alone in something she didn’t feel safe in out here.
She had men’s attention but they weren’t the ones she wanted
I saw a few of them step away from the wall and start to follow at a distance
Catcalls and wolf whistles echoing down the narrow street she’d chosen.
I fell into step behind her and watched them over my shoulder, they were hanging back talking about when to make their move.
As she rounded a corner I followed her and saw that no one was on the street but there was an empty dark doorway.
I took off my cloak and tucked it into my belt, letting my wings unfold I stepped up closer and as we reached the doorway I wrapped my arms and wings around her and pulled her into the doorway.
She did not scream, just gasped lightly as she looked up into my eyes and realized what enfolded her was a pair of wings.
I do not know how it happened, but she saw me and suddenly everything became clear
They walked around the corner and when they saw an empty street they cursed and ran to the next corner hoping she was merely hiding.
They were unable to see us and as they ran past the corner and kept going she laid her head against my chest and sighed “thank you”
“Just doing my job” I replied with a wink and a light chuckle
Folding my wings and replacing my cloak I took her hand in mine and walked her home.
She looked at me from time to time to see if I was really real
And I just chuckled every time
Knowing she wouldn’t believe her own thoughts in the morning.
As I wished her goodbye at her steps she looked at me and asked the question I knew had been bugging her all night.
What is your “Job”? she asked hesitantly.
I took her hand in mine and bringing it to my lips I kissed it softly and bowed as I said with a soft smile “Well my dear, I am a Guardian.”
I turned then and walked away, feeling myself become ethereal
Leaving her with a lip print on her hand
And questions in her heart.

1 comment:

jessalynkyser101k said...

i really love this one! it is sooo good and one of my favorites. i think that it is relaly cool how the one lady was able to see the guardian and no one else was able to see him.